release of Internet stats in English
Posted on by Lyn Jeffery
China’s official internet research group, CNNIC, has translated its 17th Survey Report with stats that are up to date as of 12/31/05. There’s a nice analysis section that shows trended data over the last 9 years since CNNIC has been doing these surveys.
- majority of users are (still) male, unmarried, under 30, with educational levels below Bachelor’s degree and monthly income less than 2,000 Yuan (~US $250)(including no income).
- 97.2% of Chinese Internet users use desktop computers to log on, 18.2% use lap tops.
- broad band (xDSL, Cable Modem, etc.) users reached 64.3 million, a 50% increase since the same period last year, comprising 57.9% of all Chinese internet users.
- Chinese internet users spend 2.5 hours more per week online as compared with one year ago.
- urban internet penetration about 17%; rural about 3%.
- almost 30% of those aged 18-24 are online.
- growth rate of Internet use has slowed significantly in past two years.